Saturday, December 29, 2007

Family Journal Idea

My friend Christa Johnson gave me this idea and I think it's a great one. Especially after the time I've spent journaling today. Since my kids have been born I have kept journals for them (along with scrapbooks). I usually just type up my own about once a month and then copy and paste what is applicable for them and glue it in to theirs. Sometimes I'll have them tell me stuff to transcribe too. But this takes a lot of time and lately is a task I dread. Since doing this blog I decided to just copy and paste the text and then add in the other things I want to mention. It is much quicker, but I still have to individualize for each kid. Well starting next year that's going to change. At the end of the year I'm going to copy and paste the whole blog, including the pictures, into a Word document to make the format nicer. Then I'll print it out and make it into our "Family Journal" for the year (in a small notebook in page protectors). The kids will be able to look at it and someday if they want copies of them they're welcome to do that. We'll still keep their journals to transcribe or write their own words. It will also help me keep track of the dates of my pictures for scrapbooking (since I'm getting way behind). I'm still going to scrapbook because I love to and I take way more pictures than I post, but for those who don't like to scrapbook I think this is a GREAT idea!

8 comments:

Holly Strong said...

I am very excited to get your Christmas card and see you have a blog. I was even more excited seeing all the other family blogs!!! YAY!! Sounds like Texas is treating you well. Little Connor is adorable! Davis said, "WOW, 4 kids! That seems like a lot!" I laughed and said, "We have 3 and are thinking about 4...have you changed your mind now?!?!" He laughed and said, "BUT 4 seems like a lot!!!" LOL We'll send out updates in Feb when our we move again...until then, our blog is davisstrongfamily.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I always knew you were a smartie!! You rock :-)

P.S. Loved the New Year's letter & photos!

Becky said...

If you don't mind spending money on it, you can get a hardbound version of your blog at blurb.com. I just did one and they are awesome! Very high quality and a great price (especially compared to other companies that make books). E-mail me if you have questions, Lauree.

P.S. Got your card a few days ago--thanks!

Carrie Medford said...

I think I've seen all of those animals as roadkill also--except the beaver.

brownymama said...

I was also going to add that you can have your whole blog made into a book. They turn out looking great. But, it definitely costs more money. And as for your question earlier, we are living in Prescott and had moved from San Antonio during the summer. Texas is lots of fun... except the summers with the humidity! (:
Krista

Johnson Family said...

Lauree, so glad to see that you liked my stolen idea from my sister. Hopefully, by the end of 2008, we will have a whole journal of memories complete with pictures. I will keep scrapbooking too though because I love it as well. Christa

Amy E. said...

Sounds like a fun idea-since I'm not much of a scrapbooker. I'm finally doing the blog thing now. It's pretty easy once you get started. :)

Carrie Medford said...

I think that the blog is a great idea--it takes care of my journaling and my scrapbooking in one! And keep the Zach moment of the day coming--I look forward to reading about the funny things he says!