Friday, March 14, 2008

Zilker Park

Yesterday the kids and I spent the whole morning at Zilker Park in downtown Austin. I had promised the kids a trip back to the "dino pit" and it was raining when my parents were here...so I got to take them all myself. We had a great time!
First we played at the park there, which has 3 large playscapes next to eachother. This one is like an island with "water" around it. They thought it was so cool to run in the "water". It had a seal to "ride" and cool carvings of ocean life all around inside of it.
One of the playscapes is attached to this really old fire truck...again, very cool for little boys.
We rode the Zilker Zephyr train that goes for 25 minutes along the river and town lake. This was by far Savannah's favorite part of the day.
Jacob and Zach liked how the train goes underneath one of the playscapes...so kids were right above us.
Right after I took this picture is when my camera's battery died. It was probably a good thing because I take way too many pictures as it is. Connor fell asleep on the train ride and then we headed over to the "dino pit" and had a picnic lunch. The kids dug up fossils until they were good and worn out. As we were leaving we discovered an aviary that has "birds of prey" like owls, hawks, vultures, etc. Jacob said "Wow, the vulture droids on Stars Wars sort of DO look like the real vultures." Only Jacob could connect Star Wars with an aviary. It was a fun, fun day.

And oh yes...notice how we're all bundled up because it was overcast and pretty chilly? Well today it was humid and almost 90 degrees. That's Texas weather for you.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

That looks like a lot of fun! I love how kids minds work!

Kristi said...

Hey Lauree! I have been to Zilker twice and still have never found where you board the train....or any playscapes! Where do I go??