Thursday, June 4, 2009

Can I watch your pet?

So my friend Kristi had a fish that she was trying to get rid of. Zach is working towards earning a pet fish right now, so I told her if she couldn't find someone to take it we would at least "petsit" for her while she goes on vacation. Zach was so excited all morning to go and pick it up. We went over about 3:30 this afternoon. Jacob named it Captain Rex. Kristi told me I could clean out the bowl if I wanted to, as it hadn't been for a little while.

I cleaned it out and noticed that the water was cloudy when I put the fish back in. There was a blue dust from the rocks that eventually settled over everything a couple of hours later, but the fish was struggling a little during that time I think. I also used a scrubber from under my sink to clean off the decoration inside. That could have been the problem too. It may have had a little cleaning stuff leftover from a previous use.

(This is not Captain Rex...just some picture from the internet)You can probably see where this story is going. The missionaries were over for dinner and noticed it was pretty mellow too. Well about 7:30 (4 hours after I got it) I checked on it and the fish was dead. I feel horrible! Not only did I kill a beta fish, which are pretty indestructible, I did it in less than 4 hours of having it at my house.

Luckily Kristi was not that attached to the fish. That makes me feel just a teensy bit better.

But now I'm worried about this fish that Zach will be earning soon. It's one thing to flush your neighbor's fish that they didn't care about...so much. It's a whole other story when it's your child's beloved pet that they saved for and worked hard to earn for a long time.

Dallin might just have to clean the fish bowl.

10 comments:

Ronya said...

My grandma cleaned out our fish tank when she came to visit and put too hot of water in it and then dropped the fish in. they died pretty quick. My sister and i cried for a while but it was a good time for my mom to explain where animals go and everything. It actually helped me for other animals in our family who died in later years. losing a fish is easier than a puppy or something. :) start small.. fish. good luck!!!

Tammy said...

Sorry I won't be letting you watch my dogs!! Don't worry ALL FISH GO TO HEAVEN!

Suz said...

DONT USE BLEACH!! My step-dad did that to my fish because he did not think that I was cleaning the bowl out fast enough....I was at work. Good luck when you get your own fish.

Kristi said...

See I was really on to something by never cleaning it's bowl : )

still laughing so hard....poor captain Rex : )

Jeannie said...

I would of given anything to hear that phone call!!!!! LOL!!!!

Karl said...

Check out tank cycling when you get your own. There are right and wrong ways to clean a fish tank. Good luck!

Corbett Family said...

When we watched our nanny's fish last fall, it died a few days after we gave it back. (All we did was feed it, never cleaned the bowl.)

So far, we've had J.D.'s fish for almost two months and it is still alive. The guy at the pet store gave us some drops to put in the tap water that we put in the fish tank to get rid of chlorine because chlorine is apparently bad for beta fish (and he told us to make sure the fish was in room temperature water). Just some tips for when you get Zach's fish.

(By the way, sometimes when J.D. is disobeying, I threaten to give his fish to Zach.)

Mighty Mighty Rudds said...

That is FUNNY! I love it when life is reminiscent of a sitcom! If you kill his fish you will have to have a funeral, like they did on The Cosby Show, that will totally make him feel better!

Grandma LeSueur said...

Hey Lauree,
Remember when I cleaned out Justin's 10-gallon fish tank and killed ALL of his fish?! They all died slow, horrible deaths and we couldn't even find "Big Al," until it started stinking behind the chest of drawers. Apparently, he preferred a quick suicide jump to a slow, clean death. Like mother, like daughter, huh?!
I love you, Mom

Daniel and Alisha Strong said...

There are some helpful bacteria that live in the rocks that help clean the tank so when you clean it dont go to crazy cleaning everything. Also, as others have said, water coming out of the tap has chlorine and other harmful particles in it that need to need neutralized so buy some water treatment at the pet store. Other than that, betas are pretty tough fish and can put up with a lot, just make sure you dont over feed them either, that can kill fish.