Sunday, October 10, 2010

Marathon Kids 2010 Kick-Off

Yesterday the older kids and I went to the Marathon Kids Kick-Off. It's a free program they do every year here in Austin. The kids keep track and run a marathon, or 26.2 miles between now and February. Then at the Finale Celebration they get a medal. I knew Connor would have fun so I brought him along too. They were passing out free bandanas, which Savannah & Jacob thought were pretty cool.
This is what happens when I say "smile."
Connor loved the "characters." They were there to represent some of the sponsors. The big blue bear was from Blue Cross Blue Shield and the vegetables were from Whole Foods. There was a corn on the cob, a banana, a strawberry and a carrot. When we got down to the field though we passed right by them and both Savannah & Connor freaked out a little. Savannah asked me if it was a real bear. As much as she loves stuffed animals, she HATES them when they're huge and walking around.
They had some entertainment while we waited to run our starting lap on the track. Connor loved the middle school drum line. They danced all around and put on quite a show.
Here they are at the starting line. A bunch of the UT athletes were on the edge of the track, giving the kids "high-fives" as they ran past. Connor & Savannah ran right on the edge so they could slap everyone's hands. They all had a great time I think.

2 comments:

Grandma LeSueur said...

I cannot WAIT to hug these kids IN PERSON!!

Ronya said...

That sounds like a lot of fun and a good way to keep kids active. How do you find out about all these fun things?