Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day of School 2009

Today was the first day of school! The boys were very excited. They got to meet their teachers on Friday night. Jacob is in 3rd grade and has Mrs. Kozlowski. Zach is in 1st grade and has Miss Cox. They also each have a couple of friends from last year in their class, which helps.
They line up in the hall and read books until it's time to go in.
My friend Christa posted about their tiny little school in the town she lives in. The boys' school is the biggest elementary school I've seen. There's well over 1,000 students (grades K-5). Each grade has 8 or 9 classes for the most part. And that's after a new school was built and we lost some kids last year. There is another wing that you can't even see, as well as a bunch of portable trailers.

Today was also the first day of Mommy Preschool! Savannah has been looking forward to doing her "own school" all summer. We're doing 3 days a week for a couple of hours each time, just she and I. I like having the flexibility of doing it myself, and not having to schedule it with a bunch of other moms (like if I had done a co-op preschool). We start as soon as Connor goes down for his nap and then turn on a movie for him while we finish (he only sleeps about an hour these days).
Animal craker math...

We had a scary thing happen this afternoon. Savannah and Connor were playing with the marble toy in her bedroom. All of a sudden I hear these gagging & choking sounds intermingled with silence. I ran in there expecting to find Connor choking...it was Savannah! She had been sucking on a marble. She was still making noise occasionally, but her air was cut off a few times for a couple of seconds. I think it was slowly rolling down her air pipe. She was terrified, as was I. I raced her to the bathroom and had her lean over the side of the tub and tried to get her to throw up, since she was gagging off and on. I eventually did a couple of Heimlich Maneuver thrusts and a minute later she spit it out. I think me pushing near her stomach mostly just helped her gag it up a little better. She wasn't completely choking, but it was scary!!! She definitely learned her lesson about putting things in your mouth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is scary! I glad that everything is okay!

Grandma LeSueur said...

Very cute school kids!!! (all 3!) And I'm glad Savannah didn't have to go to the E.R. on her first day of Mommy Preschool!! I love you guys! Love, Grandma L.

Jeannie said...

How scary! I'm so glad that all is well!!! Other than that :), it sounds like a super fun day for your family!! She looks so happy at Mommy School :)

Stephanie said...

Savannah is so cute! And it's so fun for Jacob and Zach to be buddies. That does sound very scary with the marble. I always feel like my children have guardian angels to help them, because I can't keep my eyes on them all the time!

Kristi said...

Oh wow that is really scary! So glad she is okay Lauree!