Saturday, June 26, 2010

Boys' Jean Quilts

They're finally DONE!!! I have been working on these quilts for what seems like years. Okay, not really. But I have been collecting and ripping the jeans into strips for quite a while. I really got down to business right before school ended. My friend Melissa came over 3 different times to help me out. Thanks so much!!!This is the awesome quilt frame that my brother-in-law Dave cut out for me right before we moved here. I finally got to use it! The only problem was that the jean was so heavy and the quilt so large that it was easier to only use it partway.
We ended up throwing one end over our half wall since it was already weighted down by the board. It worked great. This was Melissa's first time tying a quilt...what a trooper.
This is my pregnant belly at 33 weeks.
For the backing I used flat sheets. It was easier and cheaper than buying material. The boys chose two different sheets, but they complimented each other. Zach's has navy, gray, and blue stripes.
Jacob's has red, navy, and blue stripes.
I'm so happy with how they turned out!Jacob said to me "It's not as soft as my old blanket. But I like this one better." I asked him why it was better and he said "Because you made it just for me. I love it!" Totally worth it.

8 comments:

Don and Sandy said...

Laurie, those are so cute and will last until they grow and leave the nest.

The Garbison family said...

You! Are! AWESOME!!!

Grandma LeSueur said...

Wow, I don't know HOW you became so domestically-talented, growing up with a domestically-challenged mother like YOURS! I love you, Mom

Ronya said...

that is so cool! My grandma makes jean blankets and they are the best! they seem to last a really long time.

Melinda said...

Awesome! Using sheets to back them in is genius.

Sarah said...

Way to go ladies! Those turned out really nice! I wish I knew how to bind a quilt.

Becky said...

Laurie, I haven't stopped by in ages (oops!) and didn't know you were expecting again! (double oops!) Having five kids has been so much fun (work too, of course but who wants to hear about that part?).

Love the quilts!

Diana said...

Love the quilts! I've been wanting to do something similar for a while now. Can't wait to see your new little one!