Yesterday morning I was gone and apparently Savannah fell off her bed while playing and landed on her pinky finger. I didn't know anything was wrong until later.
At the Marathon Kids Kick-Off I kept trying to hold her hand and she was freaking out that her finger hurt. I thought she was just complaining about a little hangnail or something so I just took her other hand. She kept complaining about it off and on throughout the day. She was also really weepy all day long, crying tons and eventually took a nap. Finally in the evening I told her to go clean up some toys. She bumped her hand on something and started sobbing. I finally looked closer and saw that her finger and hand was bruised and pretty swollen. Then I felt bad that I hadn't looked at it closer earlier in the day. Dallin and I decided to take her to Urgent Care to make sure it wasn't broken. The regular Urgent Care was closed so I took her to an off-site Emergency Room. It's basically exactly the same as the ER, just not attached to a hospital. And hardly crowded at all. By then I had iced her finger for a little while so the bruising looked a little better.
They took X-rays and told us that it was just a sprain. She'd need to wear a splint for a few days.
The ER just called me back today though (Sunday, the next day) and said that the radiologist took a closer look. There is a tiny fracture at the base of her finger. Luckily she doesn't need a cast or anything. She just has to wear the splint for 2-3 weeks. Then we have to take her in to the pediatrician and have another X-ray. I'm so glad it's on her left hand, since she's right-handed. I think it's amazing that I have 4 boys who have never been to the ER, but my little girl has already been twice.
At the Marathon Kids Kick-Off I kept trying to hold her hand and she was freaking out that her finger hurt. I thought she was just complaining about a little hangnail or something so I just took her other hand. She kept complaining about it off and on throughout the day. She was also really weepy all day long, crying tons and eventually took a nap. Finally in the evening I told her to go clean up some toys. She bumped her hand on something and started sobbing. I finally looked closer and saw that her finger and hand was bruised and pretty swollen. Then I felt bad that I hadn't looked at it closer earlier in the day. Dallin and I decided to take her to Urgent Care to make sure it wasn't broken. The regular Urgent Care was closed so I took her to an off-site Emergency Room. It's basically exactly the same as the ER, just not attached to a hospital. And hardly crowded at all. By then I had iced her finger for a little while so the bruising looked a little better.
They took X-rays and told us that it was just a sprain. She'd need to wear a splint for a few days.

3 comments:
BIG owwie on your pinky finger!! Hugs & Kisses from Grandma and Grandpa LeSueur XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
She sounds like her Aunt Melly. If you hadn't taken her in, we could've even had twin crooked pinkies!
poor little savannah! hope it heals quickly
Post a Comment