Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Flu

Last fall I was going to get the kids flu shots and then decided against it. Dallin always wants me to, but I normally don't because they very rarely get sick, and I had a bad experience with the flu shot a few years ago. Well after Savannah's long sickness in the fall (which I'm now sure was the flu) and this last week we will definitely all be getting a shot every year. On Wednesday evening Zach got a fever and by Thursday morning his temperature was almost 104. I don't normally take my kids in until they've been sick for a while, but decided I didn't want this spreading to all 5 kids for Spring Break. Sure enough, he has Type A Influenza. So the doctor quarantined him to his room for 4-5 days and gave us some prescriptions. His fever stayed between 102 - 104 even with Ibuprofen, and finally went down some by Friday morning. Friday he had some throw-ups too, but luckily that only lasted a few hours.He didn't eat anything for two days and finally got his appetite back on Saturday. He's still stuck in his room until tomorrow morning.
Connor's fever came on really suddenly Friday morning and I immediately called the doctor. They just called in a prescription for him, and also a preventive one for me, since I was taking care of both of them. He had the throw-ups by evening, when I was gone to soccer practice with Jacob. Dallin got the fun job of cleaning that all up. He now gets a "special" bed so that we don't ruin everything on his bed. He likes it better anyway. His fever was finally better by Saturday afternoon and he's been eating some too.
Jacob has enjoyed sleeping on the guest bed in the computer room since Zach got sick. And Landon has been sleeping great in there also in the pack'n'play. It has been so quiet at our house and weird only eating dinner with 2 or 3 kids. Jacob & Savannah spent a lot of Saturday quietly playing legos. Today Dallin came home from his meetings to take Jacob & Savannah to church, but they didn't stay for primary. I would feel really bad if they were with all the kids and then suddenly get sick today or tomorrow. (On a side note, Dallin has to leave for meetings on Sunday at 5:45am. With daylight savings it was like he left at 4:45am this morning...poor guy.)
The boys seem to be getting much better and so far the other kids seem fine, so hopefully it's not spreading! I'm glad I quarantined them...so far it seems to have worked!

3 comments:

Carrie Medford said...

No fun! What is Dallin's calling? Is he in the bishopric again? You guys are a busy bunch! We're excited to see you guys again in July!

Millie Motts said...

You guys take care! Are those private movie screens I see set up? Brilliant!

Doggone Daylight Savings - Arizona knows what it's doing!!

Hang in there,
Gina

Johnson Family said...

holy cow!!!! WE have had the same thing with the four kids this week. And I wish my pediatrician had told me to quaranteen Lund just like you did, because now all four kids have got it.......
Luckily, the minute they have symptoms, the doctor calls in more Tamiflu.
I can't believe we are all getting the same flu!!! Influenza A is my least favorite sickness yet!!!!!
Love ya!
Christa