Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Finger Traumas

Caution: If you get queasy with blood don't read this (I did NOT include bloody pictures).
On Sunday we had some drama at church. Jacob had just gotten to his primary class and was setting up chairs. Apparently he tripped and hit his finger pretty hard on a chair and caught it on something. There weren't any adults in the room, but a dad came just after to drop off his son. He brought Jacob to me with his hands under Jacob's, catching the blood that was gushing from his finger. Jacob's fingernail (middle finger on the right hand) had completely cracked in half and took all the skin with it all the way to the tip of his finger. It was pretty nasty...with lots of blood. I took him into the bathroom with another lady who helped me (thanks Cassandra!). Bro. Smith went to wash his hands, then brought us the first aid kit. Cassandra found some fingernail clippers and we snipped off all the hanging pieces of skin and fingernail. Jacob was freaking out and flinging blood all over...luckily it missed everyone's clothes. We eventually got it wrapped with some guaze and band-aids. He sat with me for a while and then wanted to go back to primary (because they were going to sing to him for his birthday). That night we changed the bandage and it bled again quite a bit, but we got it fixed up good for school.So yesterday (the next day) I was telling my mom about it. She told me to make sure we use non-stick guaze so it didn't dry into the wound (this is the worst thing we've had to take care of ourselves so far, excluding Savannah's stitches). We went after school and bought some supplies. Last night when Dallin and I went to change the bandage, sure enough, the guaze was totally stuck to the wound and bleeding much more than we were comfortable with...remember that your Mom knows everything. It was gushing again. So I took him to Urgent Care. He did great. They soaked it off, cleaned it out, and showed me how to properly take care of it over the next couple of weeks. Poor Grandma is going to have to take over with that in a few days...sorry!

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I am so sorry! That had to hurt...
Good thing for Fast thinkers...
I would have been a mess!

Carrie Medford said...

How awful! Just make sure he holds up all the fingers when he shows his battle wound to everyone!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad that he's o.k. I got a look at it (eek!) when Bro. Smith was on his way to find you. Yikes! Tell Jacob - Sis. Adams is so proud of how brave he was!

Jeannie said...

OUCH!!!! :( Sorry to hear that!

Grandma LeSueur said...

I'm SOOO sorry for what happened to you, Jacob!! I hope your finger feels better soon--I will add my kisses to make it better on Friday--see you then!! I love you,
Grandma LeSueur :-)

Johnson Family said...

wow, what a primary drama!!! I bet that hurt a lot, I think a lot of strong adults would have cried if that happened to them. I know I would have, and I am a scout leader!!
Jacob, your a trooper!!!
And as a side note, can I come in your suitcase on the cruise? I will be really quiet and I won't eat much... wait, that is a lie, I will eat a lot, but you won't even notice I am there, I will just be the lady in the scout uniform huddled in the corner sleeping the whole time..
Have a wonderful time!
Love ya guys,
Christa

The Garbison family said...

You are a BRAVE boy, Jacob!!!