Monday, June 27, 2011

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

On Saturday Jacob and I went to Six Flags for the day! Every year at school he earns a free ticket doing a reading program, but we've never gone. I didn't want to spend that much until he was tall enough to ride all the rides. This year he was tall enough so I told him we might go. Friday evening I found his ticket and decided very last minute to take him the next day. I surprised him Saturday morning when he woke up. He was really excited but very nervous. He knew that I wouldn't take him unless he rode some of the big roller coasters. He is afraid of heights and gets motion sickness. But I told him I'd only make him ride two big coasters and then he could decide with the rest of them. I get motion sick some too, so I chose the two that I thought would be fun, but not too queasy. I knew that he would be super nervous all day, so I made him ride those two rides first also. It turned out to be a good thing.

We got there about 9:15am (it's 2 hours from our house). We got a really close parking spot and they actually opened the gates at 9:30. This picture was standing in line to get into the park. It was actually cloudy for most of the morning, which was so nice. We went straight for this roller coaster, The Goliath. We were in the first group to ride it.And we both did not like it. I normally love the roller coasters where your feet are hanging, but this one just knocks your head around the whole time. It wasn't as smooth as the others I've been on. Jacob was proud he went on it though. We stopped for a picture and the crazy characters would not just stand with us.
We then headed straight for the Superman ride, which was the largest and tallest one in the whole park. Again, no wait at all still. Jacob was so, so nervous. But guess what, he actually liked it! Not enough to ride it again, but he liked it. I enjoyed it much more than the first ride too. And I was so proud of him.
We rode lots of other rides with hardly any wait at all. It is definitely worth it to get there right when the park opens and ride all the bigger rides then. At noon they opened the water park and the Boardwalk section of the park. We headed straight for the Scooby-Doo ride. This was Jacob's favorite because it was interactive.
You are in a haunted mansion and sit in these Mini-Mystery Machines. You have a laser gun and shoot "ghosts" as you go throughout the ride to get points. It's all flat and slow, but lots of fun for boys who love to shoot things. We did that one more than once. Jacob's other favorite ride was the log ride, but I didn't get any pictures of that one.
We went on a larger splash ride and hardly even got wet. So Jacob stood on the balcony over it afterward and got drenched a couple of times. It was so hot that it actually felt good to be pretty wet.
I told Jacob he could choose one small souvenir under $5. He wanted one of these capes. What made it even more fun was that you had to play a game to get it. But everyone who played won a cape, so I was okay with that.
The bumper cars were at the top of his list and did not disappoint.
By about 1:15 we had ridden all the rides we wanted to except one because the lines were so short to that point. We headed all the way across the park to the Gully Washer. It's one of those rides where like 10 people sit in a circular tube and you go around a river of rapids. The wait looked to be about 20 minutes. But you couldn't actually see the end of the line and it was more like an hour and a half wait. But it was worth it to Jacob, he loved it. Here we are just about to get on the ride...finally!
We finally finished that ride about 3:00pm and headed to the car for some lunch. We changed into our swimsuits and stashed our stuff back in the car. I was not about to pay $11 for a small locker when my car was just 2 minutes farther away. We went on all of the water slides that were open. This one was the first. It is a water slide that shoots you into a big funnel thing and you go back and forth until the little part at the bottom. Jacob was pretty scared, but loved it. I took this picture after I had gone back to get our clothes from the car and changed.
Jacob also liked the Whirpool water slide. Your tube goes around and around and then down a little hole in the bottom. He loved the wave pool, which was shaped like the state of Texas...of course. After the water park section closed at 7:00 we rode one more roller coaster and did the log ride again, since the lines were short again. We left about 8:00pm and picked up some McDonald's for dinner. We got home at 10:15. It was a very fun day with lots of great memories. I'm so thankful I got to spend that fun one on one time with Jacob. It made me realize that we need to do that more with our kids, so we'll be working on doing just that. Thanks for a great day Jacob!

2 comments:

Grandma LeSueur said...

You are SOOOOO brave, Jacob!! (I already knew that your mom is brave) That was a cool way to spend a Saturday with your mom! (and it was nice of your dad to stay home with the rest of the kids!!) Love, Grandma LeSueur

Johnson Family said...

what an amazing and brave mom you are!!! We went to Knott's Berry Farm a couple of weeks ago and I chickened out of all the rollercoasters!!
What a great mom and son date! He will remember it forever! I can still remember when your dad would take you on daddy-daughter dates. What a legacy!
Love ya,
Christa