Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Night in Bethlehem

On Sunday a friend told me about a live nativity that was only about 20 minutes away. I've heard about a really neat one in Burnet, but that's an hour away and the wait is always an hour or so in the cold. This was at the Immanuel Lutheran Church (I think) outside of Taylor. We did have to wait for about 45 minutes, but they had us wait inside the church. Landon was not happy about that since he'd already been to church for 3 hours. I took him outside and let him run laps around a tree. By the time it was our turn to go through "Bethlehem" he was not a happy camper. He had also just tripped and was bleeding all over in his mouth. I tried to have him come with us, but it was kind of ruining it for everyone in our group because he was loud and all over and screamed every time I tried to pick him up. Luckily our friends were waiting for their turn and took him for a few minutes so that I could enjoy the rest of the nativity with the family. The kids all really loved the guards posted at the "gate."
At the end was the stable. They people talked as we went through the town, telling the story of that night. The kids all seemed to really enjoy it and I was happy to have a way to bring them back to why we really have Christmas.
Connor especially loved when the star lit up.
Dallin told me a little story about Connor when I had gone to take Landon to our friends. The guy that was leading them through Bethlehem had finished talking at one scene and said "Come. Let us go." It was all quiet and somber and Connor said really loud and happy "Come! Let's go!" Dallin said that everyone laughed and it was very cute. I think it was definitely worth it to take the older kids, but not a tired and hungry toddler. Next year I may find someone to watch Landon while we go.

1 comment:

Grandma LeSueur said...

What a cool thing! That would be an awesome tradition to start.