Saturday, February 23, 2008

Austin Nature & Science Center

Today we spent the afternoon at the Austin Nature & Science Center (I think that's what it's called). It's in Zilker Park in downtown Austin. The kids had a blast. First we went on the walking bridge over Town Lake (the Austin skyline is sort of in the background).
Right when you walk in there is a beehive that is behind glass for you to see. Just to the left of Savannah's head is a tube that goes outside. You can watch them go through the tube to the stacked layers of the hive. It was really cool to see. Zach was quite disturbed though...if you know Zach you are really impressed right now that he is this close to it. He is terrified of anything that flies (even trapped in casing).

The definite highlight of the day was the "dino pit."

They have "dinosaur fossils" buried in big sand pits for the kids to dig up. They all loved it...and made me promise to bring them back for longer next time. Zach was more excited than I've seen him in quite a while. He got so into it. One quote was "I ABSOLUTELY need that brush right now so I can see these bones." He now wants to be a paleontologist when he grows up. (On a side note...I asked the others what they want to be. Savannah wants to be Dora when she grows up and Jacob wants to be a race car driver.)

Connor was so good and mellow...just kickin' back watching everything going on around him.

There was also some exhibits of local animals...a coyote, fox, raccoon, skunk, opposum, etc. Indoors they had some frogs, fish, spiders, and such. It was a fun time!!! Zach insisted that we have to bring Grandma and Grandpa there when they come so that they can help him dig for bones. "And Grandma needs to pack her M&M's."

3 comments:

Carrie Medford said...

That place sure looks like fun! I mean, who wouldn't want to be a paleontologist after going there?

Crissybug said...

It looks like such a fun place! I hate bees too. When I was about 9 months pregnant with my first I decided to take a walk, and a black bee kept hovering around my head. I tried to cross the street to get away from it, and in the process ended up tripping, and face planting my huge prego body in the middle of the street! Not a pretty site! I feel for your son!

Jessica said...

What a fun outing!